90% of Brazilian inspired skin care products launched outside Brazil - Mintel

By Michelle Yeomans

- Last updated on GMT

90% of Brazilian inspired skin care products launched outside Brazil - Mintel
Brazilian influence is resonating dramatically in the beauty and personal care category - and new research from Mintel reveals just how much influence it has. 

The market researcher reports this influence as seen largely on the ingredients platform, with products featuring one of four key claims such as 'Brazilian', 'from Brazil', 'sourced from Brazil' or 'inspired by Brazil'.

Indeed, 16% of the launches inspired by the country were found in France, and 14% in the UK between August 2013 and July 2014. Following them is the US with 12%, and Japan with 10%.

According to Vivienne Rudd, Global Director of Insight, Beauty & Personal Care; “Brazil has traditionally been seen as an incredibly rich source of natural ingredients but today it is an inspiring beauty market in its own right."

"Blending elements of culture and lifestyle is an attractive approach for consumers in other countries, particularly with popular naturals such as açaí and cupuaçu,"​ Rudd reveals.

Brazilian products accounted for 65% of​ global launches in 2014

In 2011, Brazil represented 95% of global launches, while 5% was represented by the rest of the world. By 2014 the country accounted for 65%, while the rest of the world stood at 35%.

Rudd says the next two years will see the Brazilian influence spread even further and deeper as beauty companies build on the after-effects of the Fifa World Cup and the run-up to the Rio Olympics in 2016.

However, while showing its importance on the global stage, the analyst says the country still has scope to further grow its own market. For instance, the market is characterized by basic claims, such as moisturizing and hydrating, present in 77% of the variants but only 66% of global launches.

Issues of sensitivity to move skincare influence forward

Finally, Rudd says issues of sensitivity and safety will help to move Brazilian skincare forward as evidenced by the popularity of the dermatologically tested claims present in 40% of skincare launches.

Underlining the growing importance of suncare, Mintel also forecasts that it will overtake facial skincare in terms of value by the end of 2014, recording sales of R$2.177m compared to facial skincare sales of R$2,146m.

There is clearly scope for more sophisticated claims in the Brazilian market. Dermocosmetics and hybrid products such as tinted sunscreens, sun protecting foundations and multi-tasking BB/CC creams will increasingly use enhanced claims of protection, prevention and personalisation, unlocking the potential of the facial skincare category​," the market expert concludes.

Related topics Market Trends Hair Care

Related news

Related products

show more

Get up to $500 off IGEN™ Non-GMO Tested Program!

Get up to $500 off IGEN™ Non-GMO Tested Program!

Content provided by SGS Nutrasource | 04-Jul-2024 | Insight Guide

The cosmetics industry has seen unprecedented growth in recent years, and with this growth comes a rising concern for what’s inside our everyday products.

Calendula Cellular Elixir: Alchemy in a cell

Calendula Cellular Elixir: Alchemy in a cell

Content provided by Naolys | 07-Jun-2024 | Product Brochure

Get ready to experience a cellular evolution in skincare with InnerLift Calendula's advanced Plant Cell biotechnology.

How Nutricosmetics Can Enhance Skin Beauty

How Nutricosmetics Can Enhance Skin Beauty

Content provided by Activ'Inside | 11-Dec-2023 | White Paper

In the ever-evolving realm of nutricosmetics, where inner wellness meets outer beauty, few natural ingredients have captured the spotlight quite like grapes.

Related suppliers