Setting new long term goals to reduce its environmental footprint every five years, Johnson & Johnson is focusing on both environmental and non-environmental areas.
“Today, the world is facing a number of complex social and environmental challenges,” commented William C Wheldon, Johnson & Johnson CEO. “Whether it’s the private, public or non-profit sector, we must all play a role, preferably in collaboration, to ensure a sustainable and healthy future for generations to come.”
Linking human health and well being to a healthy planet, the company has stated environmental stewardship as one of its core focuses.
Consequently, Johnson & Johnson has listed aggressive absolute reduction targets of CO2 emissions, water usage and waste disposal, as supplemented by product stewardship goals.
This is in order to help the company strive towards introducing at least 60 products which meet its sustainability criteria.
As such, to be able to provide ongoing transparency on the Healthy Future 2015 initiative, as well as others, the company has set up a new website; www.jnj.com/responsibility.
The Healthy Future 2015 initiative is made up of seven strategic priorities, is supported by 15 goals, and has corresponding targets to measure and drive performance.
These seven priorities are as follows:
- Building on the company's legacy in safeguarding the planet by reducing the environmental impacts of the operations of Johnson & Johnson and increasing the sustainable design of the company's products;
- Partnering with suppliers who embrace sustainability by joining with suppliers who demonstrate a similar commitment to that of Johnson & Johnson;
- Advancing community wellness by launching health initiatives to help people gain access to timely, easy-to-understand, health-related information;
- Enhancing outcome measurement in philanthropy by working with philanthropic partners to measure health outcomes and raise the standard of health outcome measurement;
- Fostering the most engaged, health-conscious and safe employees in the world by improving upon the company's global culture of health and safety, and making Johnson & Johnson a place where its employees are proud and inspired to work;
- Advancing global health through research and development for neglected diseases and affordable access to the company's medicines by working to identify new ways to address these issues, and by partnering with like-minded organizations to help expand the impact of Johnson & Johnson; and
- Committing to enhanced transparency and accessing the power of external collaboration by providing transparency about the company's business practices and products, and collaborating with partners.