Beiersdorf plunges into Chinese hair care market

By Guy Montague-Jones

- Last updated on GMT

Related tags: China, Beiersdorf

Beiersdorf will pay €269.45m for an 85 per cent stake in
China-based C-Bons Hair Care as the cosmetics giant looks to
penetrate deeper into the fast growing market.

The international player has already achieved high double digit annual sales growth in the Chinese skin care market with its NIVEA and Eucerin brands. The investment in C-Bons Hair Care will allow Beiersdorf to complement its position in the Chinese skin care market with a stong presence in the country's hair care market. The company's Austrian affiliate, Beiersdorf CEE Holding GmbH, will pay €269.45m for an 85 per cent stake in C-Bons Hair Care. It also reserves the right to acquire the remaining 15 per cent share after a minimum period of one year for a minimum price of €47.55. As part of the transaction C-Bons Hair Care, which owns the Slek and Maestro brands, was valued at €317m. Beiersdorf CEO Thomas-B Quass: "We are very pleased to have taken another significant step forward in the China market."C-Bons Hair Care is an ideal extension of our already successful Nivea business, adding established domestic consumer brands and strong market positions."​ The current president of C-Bons Hair Care, Wu Yong-nan, will become the CEO of the new business unit. Beiersdorf plans to pursue sales growth by combining its marketing, management and R&D expertise with the local knowledge of C-Bons Hair Care. The move is part of the Beiersdorf's strategy of strengthening its business activities in China, which the company identified as a priority growth market, and developing its presence in the hair care market.

Related topics: Market Trends, Skin Care, Hair Care

Related news

Show more

Related products

show more

Gentle skin exfoliation with Glucono-delta-Lactone

Gentle skin exfoliation with Glucono-delta-Lactone

Jungbunzlauer | 14-Nov-2022 | Clinical Study

Jungbunzlauer’s glucono-delta-lactone (GdL) is a polyhydroxy acid known as a mild, effective exfoliating agent. Its beneficial impact was proven in a four-week...

Cosmetics Trends: Upcycling cosmetic ingredients

Cosmetics Trends: Upcycling cosmetic ingredients

Actylis – The Partner of Choice | 02-Nov-2022 | Insight Guide

Natural and plant-based ingredients are a mainstay of the cosmetics industry, and new uses for these materials continue to emerge.

Planet-friendly performance

Planet-friendly performance

Covation Bio™ PDO | 18-Oct-2022 | Technical / White Paper

Zemea® propanediol is a 100% plant-based alternative to petroleum-based glycols and glycerin. Used as a humectant in a wide range of skin care applications,...

Related suppliers

Follow us

Products

View more

Webinars